Thursday, May 15, 2008

REVIEW: Along Came Polly


Along Came Polly

Year: 2004
Director: John Hamburg
Starring: Ben Stiller, Jennifer Aniston, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Debra Messing, Alec Baldwin
Distributor: Universal Pictures
MPAA: Rated PG-13

I was bored this one day and decided to go see a movie. I looked online to see if any good movies were out that are worth watching and I stumbled upon Along Came Polly. I checked the trailer out online and it looked pretty funny. It was the only thing that looked like it was worth the time watching so me and my friend went. I really wasn't expecting much from this movie, but it actually turned out pretty good. My friend and I enjoyed the time and thought the movie was pretty funny. Apparently I wasn't the only one that saw the movie because Along Came Polly did pretty decent in theaters. It grossed an estimated $172 million worldwide on a budget of $42 million. It definitely made its budget and plus more. I usually enjoy Ben Stiller movies and this wasn't any different.

Plot Outline:
Reuben Feffer (Ben Stiller) is an insurance risk manager who finds his new wife Lisa (Debra Messing) cheating on him with a scuba instructor named Claude (Hank Azaria) after only one day on their honeymoon. Upon returning home Reuben and his best friend Sandy (Philip Seymour Hoffman) go to a party and run into Polly Prince (Jennifer Aniston) whom they went to school with years earlier. She lives an extremely different life then him, but he feels that the relationship with Polly would work.

Plot:
The story of Along Came Polly is pretty average at best. While I did comment above that I enjoyed the movie when I saw it in theaters, but that doesn't mean the movie doesn't have flaws. I found the plot to be alittle too skeptical and not something you can really take seriously. While the story does have some fun scenes and the movie starts off pretty nicely, but I just couldn't dig the story too much. It felt alittle weak in my opinion. Its not engaging and doesn't let the audience into a story that's better than some of today's comedies. That being said, the movie is still pretty damn funny. Its so funny that I sometimes forgot about the decent story and payed more attention to the jokes. The characters that we get introduced to are all funny and enjoyable to see perform. Everybody has a funny line here and their that makes this movie pretty enjoyable. This might not be funny and good like Ben Stiller's Meet the Parents, but its still a comedy that just about any teen or adult could enjoy.

Cast:
The cast of Along Came Polly is pretty good in a way. I wasn't expecting this movie to have alot of high profile names in the movie, but I guess I was wrong. Ben Stiller plays as the main character of the movie, Reuben Feffer. He does his usual thing and its very much enjoyable. He seems more open and not afraid to do something stupid to please the crowd. This is something I find pretty funny. Jennifer Aniston plays as Polly Prince and she in my opinion is probably the weak point in this movie. She just doesn't look like shes really trying hard enough. I enjoyed her roles in Bruce Almighty or in the popular TV show, Friends. Its just that she seems kind of misplaced or something. I'm pretty sure someone else could have done her role much better. Philip Seymour Hoffman plays as Sandy Lyle and hes just hilarious in this film. He gets the job done and really looks like he belongs in this movie. I very much laughed at his parts especially when he kept missing those basketball shots. We also have Debra Messing playing as Lisa Kramer. Now she does a decent job in her role, but her role isn't that big anyway. Shes mostly in the beginning of the movie and alittle bit near the end, but she does an OK job in the parts we see her in.

Picture:
The visual look of the movie is solid. This movie is only 4 years old so the source is in great shape. I didn't notice any grain, but maybe that's just on my TV. The movie has many outdoor shots that look really nice and clean. Colors are on the soft side with some sharpness to them. While they are not as colorful as I would have liked, they do the job well. Although some scenes are alittle muted in terms of color. Detail is also on the good side with alot of shots looking wonderfully detailed. Close up shots look very solid and crisp. I did notice some slight edge enhancements that become alittle visible during the interior scenes. While this movie looks pretty good, its nothing that's going to blow you away. I have seen much better work then this, but this movie is still solid enough to watch and enjoy.

Sound:
The soundtrack in Along Came Polly is also a solid one. The music is composed by Theodore Shapiro who also scored Old School. The movie doesn't really have its own score, but has music that comes off really good. A typical comedy like this is bound to have different music here and their and it does. Their are various music ranging from pop to country and these all sound good with the story. I'm happy that this movie has many music playing in the right places that just gives this movie some leg. Bass is slightly on the downside with not much to pump out into your system. A comedy film like this is not bound to have aggressive bass so I'm not going to mark it down for this. Dialogue is done pretty well. Its much clean and clear as it should sound.

Conclusion:
Along Came Polly is a pretty entertaining flick if your just looking to have fun, but if your looking for some serious memorable story than this wont be it. The story is pretty good, but it has flaws. I didn't find it to be realistic and I couldn't get in to it, but it does have funny moments that will crack you up. The cast is pretty solid and everyone is funny, but I'm sure Jennifer Aniston could have given a better performance. The visual look of the movie is great for the most part, but its not something that your going to be blown by. Its better than most comedy movies today. The soundtrack is very good with alot of music here and their even though the movie doesn't have a memorable score. I walked into Along Came Polly to have fun and I really did. Sure the story isn't special, but the movie is just funny that sometimes I tuned out of the story and payed more attention to the jokes. So if your looking for a movie just to have a good time and not focus too much on the story then I can recommend this movie to you. Its not the best Ben Stiller movie, but its still funny.

Grade: C-

No comments: