Thursday, April 03, 2008

REVIEW: Beavis and Butt-Head Do America


Beavis and Butt-Head Do America

Year: 1996
Director: Mike Judge
Starring: Mike Judge, Bruce Willis, Demi Moore, Cloris Leachman, Robert Stack
Distributor: Paramount Pictures
MPAA: Rated PG-13

I have been a fan of Beavis and Butt-Head for a long time now. I grew up watching the show that made me laugh all the time. I was saddened to see it end with only 7 seasons, but then again I am happy to see it make it this far anyways. When the feature length movie was released in the Winter of 1996, people were alittle afraid to admit they went to see it. Seeing as how its an animated movie and not some action movie, people were somewhat scared to admit they liked the show. The movie did great for a 2D animated film grossing an estimated $63 million on a budget of only $12 million. I personally wasn't able to see it because my parents didn't think I was old enough to watch PG-13 rated movies so I was left out in the dark. I had to wait for the inevitable DVD release and had to sneak it in my room to watch it, but boy was it a fun movie. Now 12 years later, I started to look in my movie collection to review for today and found this film hidden under some dust. I thought it was the perfect time to give this movie the review I had been waiting for.

Plot Outline:
Beavis (Mike Judge) and Butthead's (Mike Judge) television is stolen so they walk all around the neighborhood to find it until stumbling into a hotel. They open the door to a divorced thief by the name of Muddy (Bruce Willis) who thinks that they are hitmen he had hired to "do" his wife and to get the X-5 unit. He puts Beavis and Butthead on a plane to Vegas to find and kill his wife. When they get to the hotel, Muddy's wife Dallas (Demi Moore) pulls them in her room and offers them twice the amount of money to go back and "do" Muddy. They don't want to do a guy because they think do meant having sex, but Dallas arranges for them to get on a tour bus and go to Washington D.C. They go because she tells them she will "do" them if they go.

Plot:
The story is pretty simple and easy to understand. Not being limited to a 30 minute television show, the movie expands all out and gives the popular duo the higher budget it needed. The movie to me does not feel like a stretched out episode, but rather a proper length movie. This is a good thing because its nice to know the writers did a good job with the story that it doesn't feel like your typical episode of Beavis and Butt-Head, but rather a motion picture that the two so badly deserved. The movies 1 hour and 21 minutes is quite a good time for a movie like this, but I do wish it was alittle longer. I cant really complain though seeing how this series started off as a 30 minute episode. Sure the movie doesn't have the most amazing story ever, but its so funny and entertaining that I could just watch it over again and again.

Cast:
The film features some Hollywood cast members that lend their voices to these funny characters. Mike Judge voices both Beavis and Butt-Head in the movie. I'm so glad he voiced them because if it were someone else voicing the character he created, I seriously would have complained or would have wrote a letter to the studio executives. Judge does a great job at his role that their is no complaint from anyone I know. Bruce Willis voices Muddy Grimes and when I first saw this film on DVD, I had not recognized his voice so I never knew it was him. It was only until I saw the credits that I noticed it was Bruce Willis voicing Muddy. He does a pretty good job voicing the character. Demi Moore voices Dallas Grimes and her voice with her character seems average at best. I'm still glad she was in the film, but I do wish her character displayed alittle more excitement. We also have Robert Stack voicing ATF Agent Flemming and he does a good job in his role. I liked his voice and thought it matched his character he was voicing.

Picture:
The visual look of Beavis and Butt-Head Do America is a pretty good. The movie was released in a new DVD version recently and the movie looks pretty good. The whole movie is made with 2D animations which looks like it was hand drawn. Movies like this tend to not look so great when your comparing it to some of today's animated movies like Toy Story or The Simpsons Movie. So its pretty hard to judge a film like this because no matter how many times they remaster this film, I don't think you will be able to tell a whole lot of difference. However, the movie features bright colors that come off pretty vibrant. I'm pretty pleased with the picture quality, but I would love to see this movie in High Definition just to see if it would make a big improvement on this DVD version.

Sound:
The TV series had a pretty good music theme in the beginning of each episode, but this movie version doesn't have the same thing. Instead the movie does have its own score, but its mostly a mixture between the TV series music and the Shaft score. It sounds pretty good and is used very nicely with the opening intro. The movie also features some other music work. Theirs a Rob Zombie music video in the second half of the movie. The TV series have always been about music videos so I'm glad they kept that nice touch in this movie. Since this is an animated movie, the dialogue is very important and for the most it sounds good. Their are some scenes where the dialogue seems alittle muffled, but its hardly noticeable. Bass is also put to good use especially at the start of the movie. The bass then continues to sound good and full through out the movie.

Conclusion:
Beavis and Butt-Head Do America is a good movie that I enjoyed. The story of the movie is pretty good and entertaining. The cast is pretty solid with voices sounding good with their character counterparts. The visual style of the movie is tough to judge because its in 2D animation, but colors look vibrant for the most part. The soundtrack is used nicely with bass sounding full and loud. As a fan of the TV show, I can easily recommend this movie to anyone looking for a comedy flick. Don't be fooled by the look of the movie that adults might think this is just for teens because Do America is very much suited for adults too. If I had a wish to make regarding this film, then I would wish their would be a sequel to this film because me and the many fans around the world would love another feature length movie from Beavis and Butt-Head.

Grade: C+

No comments: