We’ve known for a while that Peter Jackson and Guillermo Del Toro’s eagerly-awaited adaptation of the Lord Of The Rings prequel, The Hobbit, would comprise two movies, due in December 2011 and 2012. But the make-up of those two movies has been up for debate… until now.
We spoke exclusively to both Del Toro and Jackson for our birthday issue, and they told us the latest, which is…
“We’ve decided to have The Hobbit span the two movies, including the White Council and the comings and goings of Gandalf to Dol Guldur,” says Del Toro.
“We decided it would be a mistake to try to cram everything into one movie,” adds Jackson. “The essential brief was to do The Hobbit, and it allows us to make The Hobbit in a little more style, if you like, of the [LOTR] trilogy.”
So there you go. The second film will not, as had previously been suggested, a film that will bridge the 60-year gap between The Hobbit and the start of Fellowship Of The Ring.
Friday, April 17, 2009
Peter Jackson and Guillermo Del Toro Talk Hobbit
So The Hobbit is now split into two movies? I'm not sure how I feel about this. I mean I guess its a good thing since they will now have two films to tell this great story instead of squeezing it into one. Whatever the case is, I'm sure it will be pretty incredible when it comes out. Peter Jackson is a wonderful director and one that I find to be the next "Spielberg". Guillermo Del Toro has always been known to have such a big imagination and knows how to mix fantasy with reality. Its going to be really exciting to see what he can do with a great story such as The Hobbit.