Monday, March 09, 2009

Universal Grabs A Perfect Getaway From MGM


Director David Twohy (Pitch Black, The Chronicles of Riddick) has given us a new picture from the movie and has also updated the film's status.

See, once upon a time, APG was going to be an MGM release, and March 14 was the date that worked for that studio’s release schedule. But recently Universal saw the movie, liked its upside, and made a successful bid to cherry-pick it away from MGM. Which is fine by me, since I’ve done two releases with the folks at Uni —PITCH BLACK and RIDDICK. It’s a good team they have in place, led by Adam Fogelson, and they know their shit. Waiting a few extra months for them to get their marketing materials together is a small price to pay for having a major like Uni release your movie.

Anyway, the date that works for Uni schedule is now sometime in August, possibly August 14. And I’ll even caveat that, if only because movies frequently change release dates these days. Sometimes it’s a reflection of the movie itself, sometimes it’s simply about the musical chairs that all studios play with their releases. So don’t get too hung up about it. I don’t.

Thoughts:
Interesting that Universal Pictures made a bid for this film right before the films initial release. I guess the studio saw something they thought would be a killer movie. I'm somewhat interested in this film. Even though I haven't see any of the Riddick films, I heard they were tons of fun and I'm sure this film will be too.

No comments: